Friday, January 20, 2006

What I Read This Week

I know Tom's going to post his own list later today, but I have a few minutes on a DSL connection, so figured I'd post my list.

When I had back surgery about ten years ago, my mother sent me four books to speed my recovery. I reread three of them this week, and recommend them without reservation to anyone who needs a little mental escape.

P.G. Wodehouse, The Inimitable Jeeves. In which we meet Bertram Wooster, man-about-town, and his redoubtable manservant, Jeeves, and Jeeves ensures the happy marriage of Bingo Little and the continuing bachelorhood of Bertie.

P.G. Wodehouse, Very Good, Jeeves!. In these eleven stories, Bertie once again narrowly escapes matrimony, but is ultimately unsuccessful in his attempts to avenge himself on Tuppy Glossop.

P. G. Wodehouse, Right Ho, Jeeves. Bertram intervenes to save the romances of his friends Tuppy Glossop and Gussie Fink-Nottle, and almost causes the resignation of his favorite aunt's chef, Anatole... but Jeeves, thank goodness, saves the day once again.

I have given collections of these stories to at least half a dozen friends over the years, and am currently missing my single-volume Jeeves omnibus. If you're the friend who has it, I don't need it back; I just want to be sure it has a good home.

No comments: