Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pick and roll

Who uses it: Basketball players
What it means: A play in which one member of the team (usually a guard) plants himself in front of a player defending the goal, blocking the defender from getting to the player carrying the ball -- and then rolls around the defender to accept a pass from the ball carrier.
How you can use it: To describe a one-two play toward a goal.

Okay, did you see that game? Did you SEE that game? Any doubts as to whether they show sporting events in Heaven -- and whether my Mom is currently ensconced in Heaven's best sports bar, with a cigarette in one hand and a Gibson on the rocks in the other -- are dispelled completely, now that the Georgetown Hoyas have beaten the #1 team in the country, the Blue Devils of Duke.

On Monday morning, I made two predictions: 1) one of Mom's four unmarried children will be married within the next 12 months, and 2) the Redskins will win next year's Super Bowl. Based on today's performances, I will expand that to predict stellar seasons for all the sports teams Mom followed -- maybe even a pennant for her Cincinnati Reds.

Georgetown v. Virginia Tech in the NCAA final. You heard it here first.

4 comments:

Anna said...

We're routing for all your teams this year, Elle. Even Tarren, who thought the Seahawks were Lek's local highschool football team playing last week "in some kind of finals" and was very impressed that Lek was staying home to have dinner with us. Oy vey, as Susi is wont to say!

Anonymous said...

was that Ellen's post? seemd like Tom's to me--am I totally confused??
Oy vey
Sue

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Yes, it was my post. You can tell who's posting by the tag at the end of the post -- mine say "AnswerGirl," and Tom's say "Tom Ehrenfeld." As far as I know, Tom doesn't care much about Hoya basketball... although he graduated in '84, the year we won the NCAA Championship.

Tom Ehrenfeld said...

There are some other simple ways to tell us apart: gender preferences for example. Anything having to do with hard-boiled crime, banking, and hockey is generally posted by Ellen, while things related to Stephen Sondheim, tea, and that Dove campaign by the ladies in their skivvies is usually mine.

For the record, I do care about Hoya basketball, even if I can't name a player on the team, nor did I realize that the current coach is John Thompson fils. And I care even if I don't know their ranking, or how many teams are in the Big East right now, or even know if the three-point rule is still in effect. Will okay, fine, if you really want to be technical about it, in theory I care, even if I don't really care (except for the theory part.)