Sunday, January 01, 2006

Boolean logic

Who uses it: Computer programmers, mathematicians, logicians
What it means: A system of logic developed in the 19th century by mathematician George Boole, which identifies sets of data by using the terms "not," "and," and "or." If I show you a picture of Dizzy, you can say that Dizzy is NOT a human AND is an animal AND has four legs AND is not a cat, and eventually you'd come up with a list of assertions that will let you prove -- by Boolean logic -- that he is a dog.
How you can use it: When you're puzzling something out.

Happy new year, one and all. Thanks to Jen Lechner for today's term. We had a lovely time down East, bringing in the New Year with Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, and Steve's favorite card/board game, Tock.

The Lechners gave me a most excellent Christmas present: YakTrax, these coils that fit on the bottom of my shoes and allow me to walk on ice without slipping. Everyone in icy climates needs some. I wish I'd had them yesterday, when I slipped and fell in my own parking lot, and banged up my shoulder. It's not just me, either; Jen fell on the Bragdons' driveway, and smacked her head. I thought of offering the YakTrax back to her, but only briefly.

2 comments:

Peggy & Scott said...

I'm so glad you got some, hope they work as well as the ones they show on QVC. Do they make some for dogs I wonder? Happy New Year! Love, the Lavinders.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Boolean logic:

Is there a good mathematical model for playing the game 20 Questions?

Not a term of art I know, but I have an interest...

chris@milliondollarscreenwriting.com