Sunday, September 19, 2004

"Chiiildren..."

The Movie: Night of the Hunter, 1955 (James Agee, screenwriter, from the novel by Davis Grubb; Charles Laughton, dir.)
Who said it: Robert Mitchum as the Reverend Harry Powell, a psychotic preacher
The context: Having just killed his bride, Willa Harper (Shelley Winters), Powell returns to Willa’s house to persuade her children to tell him where their father hid the proceeds of a bank robbery.
How to use it: To convince someone you're angry at that you really mean them no harm. This is one of my all-time favorite lines, and if I had kids I’d use it all the time. The sweeter you make it sound, the scarier it should be. Make sure your health insurance covers child psychotherapy.

I do feel very angry about this situation, and I don't know what to do about it. I whine a lot, but I seldom get really angry because I hate that feeling, and I hate the shakiness that follows. I usually skip the anger part and go right to the bursting-into-tears, because that's where it all ends up anyway.

This morning I'll just climb the stairs outside Gary's house a couple of times, and then take the dogs to the park again. Maybe I should try kick-boxing.

No comments: