Friday, September 10, 2004

“This is no longer a vacation. It’s a quest.”

The Movie: Vacation, 1983 (John Hughes, screenwriter; Harold Ramis, dir.)
Who says it: Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold
The context: After a grueling odyssey that includes death, arrest and cruelty to animals, the Griswold family comes within ten hours of their destination, Wally World, but Clark’s wife Ellen (Beverly D’Angelo) and the kids want to turn back.
How to use it: As inspiration to overcome travel obstacles.

It'll be at least two hours before I can call the repair shop and find out whether, in fact, my car will be ready today. I can't hold my breath for two hours, and I can't type with my fingers crossed, so crossing my toes will have to do. Here's the absurdity, though: what am I going to to do if they say it's not ready? What can I do? Let's review my options: I could cry, but that would achieve... um... nothing. I could yell and be mean... again, nothing. I could say, "Oh, that's okay, I know you've been working really hard," and that would accomplish... nothing.

So you see I have a lot of power here.

And I know this is all ridiculously minor compared to the real suffering and fear in Jamaica, the Keys and the rest of Southern Florida -- and the Sudan -- and Iraq -- and right here in Compton -- but knowing that doesn't help as much as you'd think it should.

Dizzy has the right idea. I bought him a squeaky stuffed moose yesterday, and he carries it with him everywhere. All he really needs to be happy is a squeaky toy, a belly rub and an unlimited supply of cookies.

Happy birthday to my friend Sarah Reinhardt; we're going to see a band tonight. Few things cannot be improved by live rock and roll.

No comments: