Monday, September 27, 2004

"We all got it coming, kid."

The Movie: Unforgiven, 1992 (David Webb Peoples, screenwriter; Clint Eastwood, dir.)
Who says it: Clint Eastwood as William Munny, a retired outlaw
The context: Would-be outlaw The Schofield Kid (Jaimz Woolvett) defends himself after he shoots a man by saying the victim had it coming.
How to use it: As a warning against complacency.

Venice had its annual Abbot Kinney Festival yesterday, so I went with my friends Ann Marie and Sarah and Sarah's son Beker. Maybe there's a point at which one gets too old for street fairs. Street fairs are supposed to highlight a place's unique nature, but instead they all look alike to me now -- the same handicrafts, the same food on a stick, even the same types of music and live performance.

Or maybe I was just cranky yesterday. It was a beautiful day on the west side of town, and an unusual number of people were riding bikes without helmets. I have friends who worry a lot about getting cancer, and at least one friend who's a little germ-obsessed -- but my own irrational medical fear is of traumatic head injuries, and it makes me crazy to see people riding bikes on city streets without helmets. Every biker without a helmet made me more anxious.

I told Ann Marie this, and she looked at me as if I were out of my mind. "I never wear a helmet," she said.

I fantasize about driving around with a megaphone telling people, "WEAR A HELMET. OR AT LEAST SIGN YOUR ORGAN DONOR CARD."

No comments: