Monday, April 03, 2006

Eephus pitch

Who uses it: Professional baseball players
What it means: A fat, slow "junk" pitch, thrown to confuse a batter who's expecting speed or a curve ball.
How you can use it: When you're hiding your light under a bushel. "That wasn't a mistake, that was an Eephus."

It's Opening Day, a Holy Day of Obligation here in Red Sox Nation... although the big event, the Red Sox home opener, isn't until next week.

As a transplant in Red Sox Nation, I feel both respectful and bewildered about the passion people have for their team. Red Sox fans cherish a sense of persecution that winning the World Series didn't change, and I can't help but see that as a relic of the region's Puritan heritage. Red Sox fans want to be underdogs and outsiders. I get that.

Jennifer and I have discovered that we are both more productive if we work together (even though we're working on completely different things), so Dizzy and I are headed down to Freeport for a work bee. The Sox-Rangers game starts at 2:05... we might turn it on.

2 comments:

Jennifer Lechner said...

We will definitely have the game on! I love opening day.

Anna said...

I'm so glad I introduced the two of you. Now I don't ever have to watch another sporting event again. Of course, the downside is that you two see each other more than I see you, but that was a risk I was wiling to take.