Thursday, April 27, 2006

Embargo

Who uses it: Press secretaries and reporters
What it means: An agreed-upon later time at which reporters can announce the contents of a statement to the press.
How you can use it: When you're not ready to tell the world, but you have to tell someone.

My client Joseph Finder has been waiting literally for months to announce a truly fantastic set of promotional giveaways tied to his forthcoming novel, KILLER INSTINCT. I'm not going to scoop myself, since I write most of the material on that website, but I will say that you'll want to check it out later today for some cool news -- especially if you live in any of the cities Joe will be visiting on his book tour.

In the meantime, I'm on my way to Los Angeles -- posting this from the departure lounge at Dulles Airport, after FINALLY solving the problem that has blocked my wireless Internet access for much too long a time. My relief exceeds my vocabulary.

My brother Ed and I saw They Might Be Giants last night at the 9:30 Club, and I thought it was a great show. Ed gave it only a B-, because he thought they sounded sloppy and was disappointed that they didn't play "Don't Let's Start," or more off Ana Ng. I was delighted that they played so much off their very first album, and enchanted with their garage rock version of "Birdhouse in Your Soul," the greatest love song ever written from the point of view of a nightlight.

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
That lived on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot,
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts

Next post from Los Angeles, God willing. While you're at it, leave the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul...

No comments: