Sunday, April 02, 2006

"I'm very shallow and empty, and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say."

The Movie: Annie Hall, 1977 (Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman, screenwriters; Woody Allen, dir.)
Who says it: Shelley Hack as one half of a beautiful couple Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) stops on the street.
The context: Alvy asks Shelley Hack and her companion (James Burge) the secret to their apparently happy relationship. This is her response, to which her companion adds, "And I'm exactly the same way."
How you can use it: When you've run out of conversation.

I have nothing to say today. It's a beautiful day, with a strong breeze, and my brain doesn't want to do any more work for the next 24 hours or so. I think I will read a trashy novel, take a long nap, and possibly watch some cartoons.

Bummer about George Mason's loss last night. In the words of the great Elvis (Costello, not Presley), not all good things come to an end (you know how it is), only a chosen few...

Back at full brainpower tomorrow, I hope.

No comments: