Sunday, May 21, 2006

Flatsigned

Who uses it: Booksellers
What it means: A book that has been signed in person, as compared to one with a glued-in ("tipped-in") signature page.
How you can use it: To describe the real thing.

OK, I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday. I'm still alive, very tired, a little frantic, and feeling as if I've been beaten up by the sacks of books I've been carrying on my shoulders around the Washington Convention Center all weekend.

I could spool off a whole list of names of people I've seen this weekend, but it would take too long and make me sound like a creepy wannabe name-dropper. (Which I am, but I try to keep that hidden most of the time.) It was a pleasure, however, to meet Sarah Weinman in person at last, get to spend some time with my client Joe Finder, and party-hop with the hilarious Carol Fitzgerald, president of the Book Reporter Network.

Dad and Uncle Bud joined me and some friends for lunch yesterday, which was good, because my conflicting obligations this weekend have left me feeling anxious to the point of tears. (Not in public; the "Broadcast News" kind of two-minute crying jag, followed by overzealous applications of foundation and eye makeup. Bad combination -- don't try this at home.)

This evening I'm looking forward to crashing hard, and possibly even getting more than the five hours of sleep that have become my nightly standard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Sounds like you need some R&R at Orient Point! hint hint
Sue

Tom Ehrenfeld said...

Come on, be a wannabe name-dropper. I don't see what would be so creepy about it. Tell, tell.