Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Short selling

Who uses it: Stockbrokers and investors
What it means: Selling a stock before you actually buy it, on the assumption that the stock's price is falling; you sell high, then buy low.
How you can use it: When you're underrating something.

Spending an extra day in Washington, to catch up with myself and do a little library work. I've already been pretty productive this morning, which is a relief.

Can't think of much to say, though -- too focused on the next task -- so here's the Five Random Songs from my iPod this morning.

"Cause Cheap is How I Feel," Cowboy Junkies. This song has no relevance to my life. I have no idea what Margo Timmins is singing about. Really. Shut up now.

"Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell," The Flaming Lips. I saw these guys in concert with Beck at the Universal Amphitheater a couple of years ago(thanks, Steve!). It was surreal. The Flaming Lips had put out a notice for fans who wanted to participate in the concert to show up early -- and they dressed everyone up in giant plush animal costumes and gave them flashlights and glowsticks and megaphones to wave during the show. It's still one of the goofiest, most joyful things I've ever seen.

"That Year," Uncle Tupelo. This whole album reminds me of the summer of 1992 --was it '92? -- when I spent August driving around the country with my brother Ed. We drove right through Belleville, Illinois, and Ed was disappointed there was no highway sign announcing it as the Home of Uncle Tupelo. Lots of corn, though.

"Jimmy Jazz," The Clash. London Calling is my favorite album of all time. Have I said that before? I think I've said that before.

"Can't Get Used to Losing You," The English Beat. I make no apologies for loving my '80s New Wave. Why shouldn't I still like the things I liked when I was 18?

No comments: