Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Punctuated equilibrium

Who uses it: Evolutionary biologists
What it means: The fact that species generally change very slowly over a long period of time, if at all -- except when they change rather dramatically and quickly.
How you can use it: When everything seems to be happening at once, after a long period of quiet.

This term doesn't feel particularly relevant to my life at the moment, but the nature of these punctuations is that you don't see them coming. It does seem, though, that I have an unusual number of friends going through major life change this year -- births, marriages, divorces, deaths. Maybe we've just reached that age.

My sinuses are bothering me, which makes it hard to do all the reading I need to finish today. Time to pull out the bifocals... sigh.

First five random songs off the iPod Shuffle this morning:

"Afterlife," Maria McKee. Not all songs are suitable for the shuffle format. This song ends the Life is Sweet album, and really only makes sense as a coda to the title song.

"Sweet Jane," Cowboy Junkies. One of the all-time great covers, a reinvention of a standard.

"Scoop," The Notwist. Moody German electronica, and I'm grateful to the person who introduced me to them.

"Mary of the Wild Moor," Johnny Cash. Time was, I couldn't listen to this song -- but if we live long enough, with enough goodwill, almost everything is reparable. And no, I'm not going to explain that.

"Fannie Mae," Buster Brown. Ah, perfect summertime music -- anybody want to shag? (in the Mid-Atlantic style, not the British -- maybe this'll be tomorrow's term)

No comments: