Sunday, November 07, 2004

“Good morning! And in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night.”

The Movie: The Truman Show, 1998 (Andrew Niccol, screenwriter; Peter Weir, dir.)
Who says it: Jim Carrey as Truman Burbank, a man who has unwittingly lived his entire life within the elaborate set of a television show.
The context: This is Truman’s standard greeting to his neighbors, but also the last line of the movie, as Truman leaves the stage.
How to use it: When you want to be polite to a friend or family member, but don’t really want to have a conversation.

Lots to do today, and I'm already running late if I want to get to 8:00 Mass in Gardiner. Gardiner's about a half-hour drive from China, but I'm a little nervous now about driving at my usual speed -- which, in my own defense, is nothing compared with certain friends of mine I'd rather not incriminate.

But I did pick up a rental car yesterday, and started the process of stocking the new apartment -- snow shovel, clock radio, new telephone, paint chips, much of which I got at Reny's, even though I missed the Early Bird Sale.

No comments: