Tuesday, November 09, 2004

“There he goes, one of God’s own prototypes… too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

The Movie: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1998 (Terry Gilliam, director and screenwriter, from the book by Hunter S. Thompson)
Who says it: Johnny Depp as Raoul Duke, a chemically-enhanced journalist
The context: Duke is describing Dr. Gonzo (Benicio Del Toro), his Samoan lawyer, drug connection, and partner in crime.
How to use it: If you don’t have at least one friend you can say this about, you need some new friends – unless all your friends say this about you.

This movie tested my vow that I would gladly watch Johnny Depp in anything. Friends of mine love it, and it does have its moments, but I watched it on a day when I just wasn't in the mood for non-linear narrative. It's a great quotation, though.

This morning I'm tired. I wish I could wave a magic wand and bring the moving truck here immediately, because I want my stuff, and I want to set my apartment up, and I want to get back into some kind of routine.

My phone hadn't been hooked up yet by the time I left my apartment yesterday, but maybe it will be when I go back there this afternoon. Dizzy and I will start camping out there this weekend, whether my stuff is here by then or not.

No comments: