Wednesday, November 10, 2004

“Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!”

The Movie: The Wedding Singer, 1998 (Tim Herlihy, screenwriter; Frank Coraci, dir.)
Who says it: Adam Sandler as Robbie Hart, the wedding singer
The context: Robbie’s fiancée Linda (Angie Everhart) explains that she stood him up at the altar because she thinks he’s a loser.
How to use it: Whenever you’re surprised by information you really should have had.

My friend Tom Ehrenfeld thought I should have used this quotation after last week's election, but I knew it would soon come in handy for any number of other reasons.

The phone in my apartment isn't working yet, because the previous tenant hadn't called to disconnect his old phone number. The Verizon representative said, "Well, your landlord can call to ask us to disconnect the phone," but my landlords are in Cape Town, South Africa, at the moment, on their way to Lesotho.

Fortunately, I met two of my neighbors yesterday, and one of them knows how to get in touch with the previous tenant, so maybe this can all get taken care of today. If the phone's working, Dizzy and I will start staying at the new place tonight.

It's not quite 20 degrees outside, but Dizzy seems to like it, and it bothers me much less than I thought it would.

No comments: