Saturday, November 20, 2004

“I had reckoned on my prime lasting till I was at least 50.”

The Movie: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, 1969 (Jay Presson Allen, screenwriter, from the novel by Muriel Spark; Ronald Neame, dir.)
Who says it: Maggie Smith as Miss Jean Brodie, a maverick schoolteacher and Fascist sympathizer
The context: Miss Brodie confronts the consequences of her life decisions, which have led to the destruction of everything she loves.
How to use it: To acknowledge that it might be time to change your ways.

It's my birthday. I have no profound insights to share on the occasion, except to say thanks, Mom and Dad, and happy birthday to Kathy -- four minutes older, now and forever, but of course you are still in your prime.

2 comments:

Madley said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday!

L.A. rains today... I'm sure it's at least more scenic where you are :)

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

No, it's gray and cold here -- a good day to stay in bed, but I can't even do that!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!