Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Dead drop

Who uses it: Spies
What it means: A spot unconnected to either party, where one operative leaves a package or a note for another. Spies may leave items at a dead drop without knowing who the recipient will be.
How to use it: When leaving something for a friend to pick up.

Over the past several days, I've had a deluge of "comment spam" on this blog. I think I've managed to clean it all up now, but I hope no one has wasted their time on any links from comments like "Hi! I enjoy your blog, keep it up. Check out my work from home website." I just added word verification to the "comments" feature, and I hope that will stop the traffic. If you have any problems posting a comment with the new feature, send me an e-mail.

I'm not sure why this phrase popped into my head this morning. I'm meeting Anna at the Barnes & Noble in Augusta this evening, and we're going from there to see a movie in Waterville; maybe it was the idea of two people going to a third, unconnected place. This would only be a dead drop, however, if I left my corporal self in the parking lot for Anna to pick up, and my essential self went somewhere else... I guess that could happen, but it would take most of the fun out of going to the movies.

The view from my living room window is a neighbor's big beech tree, which has turned from green to yellow-orange in just the past two days. Colors will peak this weekend, I think; everybody come up and spend some money here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really funny, I'm reading a book called "Trance" by Christopher Sorrentino right now that has a bunch of different sections labeled "Dead Drop 1," "2," and so on and while I probably should have got it from the context (revolutionary army members leaving messages for each other at different places, duh) I didn't.

Really enjoy the blog, Shari Belak.