Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Home Run

Who uses it: Drive-through window staff
What it means: When a customer drives away with an order, then comes back around because something is wrong.
How you can use it: When you, or anyone, comes back to the beginning.

I don't actually know whether all drive-through window staff use this phrase. They use it at In-n-Out Burger, which is where I heard it.

Drive-in window clerk is a job I've never had, and at this point in my life I hope it's a job I don't ever have to take, unless it's for some Barbara Ehrenreich or Elaine Viets-style research project. Too hard on the feet, and on days like this, too dang cold, even if the booth is heated.

Dizzy and I got home yesterday afternoon -- thanks to the Lechners for giving Dizzy a place to stay -- just as it was starting to sleet, on top of the rain, on top of the wind. Today the "wintry mix" will continue, and we might get visible snow.

No comments: