Monday, October 31, 2005

Hawthorne effect

Who uses it: Industrial psychologists
What it means: The increase in productivity caused by the fact that someone's watching.
How you can use it: To explain why people work harder in the boss's presence.

I was looking for a Halloween-related term to use today, but couldn't find anything that really captured my imagination. I did discover, however, that I can earn a Ph.D. in parapsychology for only $595 here. (You know, I've got a birthday coming up...)

Halloween is Dizzy's least favorite holiday -- well, Valentine's Day doesn't mean much to him either, but Halloween actively scares him. He's afraid of costumes and people in masks, and of course he doesn't get to eat chocolate, so the whole thing's a loss for him. We won't be trick-or-treating, and I have an ice-skating lesson tonight, so I might not even be around to give out candy. Hope my apartment doesn't get egged.

No comments: