Monday, October 10, 2005

In the weeds

Who uses it: Cooks and bartenders
What it means: Overwhelmed, swamped (if you're swamped, you're "in the weeds" -- get it?)
How you can use it: When you have more work than you can handle.

We had close to six inches of rain over the weekend, so it's all pretty swampy here in central Maine. Staying in yesterday was a good call. This morning the rain has backed off into a light mist, which Dizzy likes -- I think it enhances his sense of smell.

I am not in the weeds myself at the moment, but I'm driving up to Montreal tomorrow, just there and back, which means losing most of two days of work. So, while today's a holiday for many here and in Canada (Happy Thanksgiving, eh?), I need to get a few things out the door.

Tonight's my first ice skating lesson. I have been on ice skates exactly once in my life, 15 or 16 years ago, on a date with an enthusiastic young man who drove a Porsche. The Porsche didn't impress me, and he couldn't understand why I preferred diners to "real" restaurants (in retrospect, I'm not sure I understand that, either), so the relationship never went anywhere. But I'm still grateful to him for taking me ice skating.

No comments: