Thursday, December 23, 2004

“I believe – I believe! Even though it’s silly, I believe.”

The Movie: Miracle on 34th Street, 1947 (George Seaton, screenwriter and director, from a story by Valentine Davies)
Who says it: Natalie Wood as Susan Walker, daughter of a cynical Macy’s executive (Maureen O’Hara)
The context: Susan insists that Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn), Macy’s Santa Claus, is the real thing.
How to use it: To reassert your belief in Santa Claus, or in anything else allegedly mythical.

I understand that Santa Claus is a luxury only wealthy nations can afford. I know that Santa Claus probably won't save the children of the Sudan. And yet -- and yet -- I believe. Santa Claus might not be a physical human being who really lives at the north pole, but Santa Claus is the best explanation I have for the fact that, when I've asked the universe for something I really, really wanted -- not something stupid like an X-Box, but something important -- I've gotten it.

And sometimes I've gotten what I asked for even when it was stupid. All I asked Santa for this year was to win the Powerball, so last night I did win -- $3.00. Santa can be tricky that way.

No comments: