Thursday, December 02, 2004

"I should get coffee. Coffee would help me think."

The Movie: Adaptation, 2002 (Charlie Kaufman, screenwriter, from the book by Susan Orlean; Spike Jonze, dir.)
Who says it: Nicolas Cage as Charlie Kaufman, a frustrated screenwriter
The context: Kaufman struggles with writer's block as he tries to adapt the book The Orchid Thief into a screenplay.
How to use it: When you're procrastinating.

Procrastination has a seriously bad rap. If you look at it the right way, it's a heroic expression of faith that we’ll all be here tomorrow. Don't you think?

Yesterday morning, in a driving rainstorm, the FedEx man delivered a giant box to my doorstep. In the box was a birthday/housewarming present from my friend Gary: a fire engine red espresso-cappuccino machine, with enough coffee to last through the winter. Wow, wow, wow. I don't expect to sleep again until sometime after Christmas; I am making coffee I don't even want to drink, just so I can play with my new toy.

The movers say my stuff is in a truck, on its way to Maine, and might arrive as soon as this weekend. In the meantime I borrowed Anna and Tarren's air mattress, which doesn't leak. Hurray!

No comments: