Monday, December 27, 2004

“A toast, to the end of the world.”

The Movie: Independence Day, 1996 (Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich, screenwriters; Roland Emmerich, dir.)
Who says it: Jeff Goldblum as David Levinson, an under-achieving scientist
The context: David has just been reconciled with his father, Julius (Judd Hirsch), as aliens prepare to destroy the world.
How to use it: After natural disasters, or in the face of catastrophe.

Every time I see my friend Michelle and her husband Chris, Chris asks me to tell "your Hollywood pals" to make a sequel to Independence Day. I've never passed this message along -- sorry, Chris -- mainly because I wouldn't know whom to tell, but also because I think they've made sequels to Independence Day, except they were called Armageddon and The Day After Tomorrow.

The headline on the front page of this morning's paper says, "12,000 DEAD," and it's a horror I can't get my head around. All yesterday afternoon I kept checking for news updates, as the TV networks broadcast stupid movies and meaningless football games. I haven't heard from my friends in Singapore, but maybe they're just having a computer-free Christmas weekend.

No comments: