Tuesday, January 04, 2005

“The future’s all yours, you lousy bicycles.”

The Movie: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 1969 (William Goldman, screenwriter; George Roy Hill, dir.)
Who says it: Robert Redford as Harry Longbaugh, the Sundance Kid
The context: Sundance has just crashed on his new-fangled bike.
How to use it: To express frustration with new technology.

Yesterday's trip: 615 miles, 1.5 tanks of gas
Stops: Rising Sun, MD; Bristol, CT

Maine does feel like home -- I felt so comforted last night when I crossed the border, and as I passed the signs on 95 and 295 -- Scarborough, Portland, Falmouth, Brunswick, Gardiner. Most of the snow has melted, though we got a dusting overnight. Dizzy was thrilled to discover that no one had stolen his toys, and I expect he'll sleep all day today.

Here's a mystery, though. All of the trash cans have disappeared from the Gardiner town common. "Homeland security," Mom said when I told her, and that might be the reason, as absurd as it is to think of terrorists blowing up the Gardiner town common. Maybe they took them away for New Year's Eve, or maybe they routinely remove them for the winter. In any case, I'm calling the town office to ask, because the absence of trash cans seems to have given people the idea that they no longer need to pick up after their dogs.

I'm coming home with an awful lot of Christmas loot, of which the most extravagant item is a Sony PS2. Ashton & Joseph are upgrading to the new model, so gave me their old one, with the idea that I can hook it up to my cable modem and we can all play "Dance Dance Revolution" together. (Yes, our average age is very close to 40. Got a problem with that?) Anyway, I haven't even figured out how to hook up my DVD player through my cable box yet, so I may need to hire a high school student to come over and set this whole thing up.

No comments: