Tuesday, January 11, 2005

“I take all the drinks I like, any time, any place. I go where I want to with anybody I want. I just happen to be that kind of a girl.”

The Movie: The Blue Dahlia, 1946 (Raymond Chandler, screenwriter; George Marshall, dir.)
Who says it: Doris Dowling as Helen Morrison, unfaithful wife (and truly dreadful mother)
The context: Helen defends her lifestyle to her husband Johnny (Alan Ladd), who has just returned from the war.
How to use it: To brazen out bad behavior. (Be warned, though: Helen, like most 1940s femmes fatale, meets a bad end.)

Who'd have thought I'd be escaping from Los Angeles to Maine just to get better weather? But today's bright and sunshiny in Gardiner, and God only knows when they'll see the sun again in L.A. I had to dig my car out from about five inches of snow, and my parking lot's a little treacherous, but it sure is pretty.

It's been a lot of traveling in a short period of time, and I have no sense at all of what time or what day it is. It'll be good to be home for a while.

No comments: