Wednesday, January 05, 2005

“There’s always work at the post office.”

The Movie: Hollywood Shuffle, 1987 (Robert Townsend and Keenen Ivory Wayans, screenwriters; Robert Townsend, dir.)
Who says it: Robert Townsend as aspiring actor Bobby Taylor
The context: The last line of the movie, underlining its moral: success shouldn’t have to require abandoning your self-respect.
How to use it: When contemplating the costs and benefits of your own job.

It'll be next week before I feel back to full speed on anything, including work. Dizzy and I have both slept past 8:00 a.m. for the last two days, which is unusual for both of us.

My experience of freelancing is that it's feast or famine, in terms of both workload and income -- but that may just be my own nature. I only really like sports that alternate bursts of frenzied activity with stretches of hanging out (sailing, baseball). If I can even things out a little this year, that would be good.

No comments: