Thursday, January 06, 2005

“Sorry I’m late. There was this big problem… and I’m late because of it.”

The Movie: The Sure Thing, 1985 (Steven Bloom & Jonathan Roberts, screenwriters; Rob Reiner, dir.)
Who says it: John Cusack as Walter “Gib” Gibson, a college freshman in pursuit of The Sure Thing (Nicolette Sheridan)
The context: After being stranded on the highway and having to hitchhike across most of the country with a classmate he hates (Daphne Zuniga), Gib finally meets the girl of his dreams at a frat party.
How to use it: When you’re late, and you have no good excuse.

The good news is that I no longer have to worry about dying alone and being eaten by my dog before anyone realizes I'm missing. Sheesh, man, miss one day of blog posting and people send out the search party... thanks to the friends who sent concerned e-mails.

The bad news is that I've been traveling all day, and have managed to make it only as far as Philadelphia, where I'm stranded until 7:45 tomorrow morning. The snow started falling just as I crossed the Portland city line, and I sat in a plane for four hours with 69 other unhappy passengers on the runway in Portland before we were finally able to take off.

I'd hoped to call my old roommate Leigh, but of course I don't have her phone number... and it's already after 10:00 p.m. here, a time when I understand many civilized people have already gone to bed.

Good thing I have the computer, some headphones and a stack of DVDs.

No comments: