Friday, January 21, 2005

“They’re all going to laugh at you!”

The Movie: Carrie, 1976 (Lawrence D. Cohen, screenwriter, based on the novel by Stephen King; Brian De Palma, dir.)
Who says it: Piper Laurie as religious fanatic Margaret White
The context: Margaret warns her daughter, Carrie (Sissy Spacek), not to go to the prom; later, after the prom has ended in disaster, this warning echoes in Carrie’s head.
How to use it: To mock fears of social rejection.

Happy birthday to my dear friend Joseph Mathews -- this quotation is for him, because he loves this movie. He often quotes another line from this movie (in English and Italian), but it is not appropriate for this PG-13 blog. Sorry, JoJo.

I'll rent a car this weekend, just because I will need to leave Gardiner at some point. Gardiner has almost everything I need -- post office, library, video store, laundromat, bars, churches, grocery store, diner, excellent coffee shop -- all within a mile of my apartment. But it doesn't have a movie theater.

I'm also toying with the idea of trying to go ice-skating at the rink in Augusta, because I'm not accident-prone enough all by myself. Yes, I expect everyone to laugh at me.

No comments: