Thursday, January 13, 2005

“Ours is the loneliest profession, Mr. Bond.”

The Movie: The Man with the Golden Gun, 1974 (Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz, screenwriters, from the novel by Ian Fleming; Guy Hamilton, dir.)
Who says it: Christopher Lee as Francisco Scaramanga, an assassin who carries a golden gun
The context: Scaramanga expresses his admiration for his adversary, James Bond (Roger Moore).
How to use it: At work, especially if you’re a writer.

The Internet is my best friend and my worst enemy. It makes my entire lifestyle possible, but it is also an infinitely powerful waster of time, attention, and emotional energy, and what makes things worse is that friends of mine keep launching blogs. At this rate, I'm going to need an intervention before the end of the winter.

Shocking, shocking news this morning, forwarded from my brother Ed: WHFS, Washington, DC's legendary alternative-rock radio station, switched abruptly to a Spanish-language format yesterday. WHFS took a turn for the mediocre several years ago, when Infinity Broadcasting bought it, but it was still the only major radio station in the Washington area where you ever had a chance of hearing Elvis Costello. It was also the station that introduced me to Too Much Joy, the Replacements, the Jayhawks, Victoria Williams, Beck, David Wilcox, and countless other artists on my CD shelves today.

I feel like someone just mugged me and stole my young adulthood.

No comments: