Saturday, January 22, 2005

"Klaatu barada nikto!"

The Movie: The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951 (Edmund H. North, screenwriter, based on a story by Harry Bates; Robert Wise, dir.)
Who says it: Patricia Neal as Helen Benson, who gives aid and comfort to the alien Klaatu (Michael Rennie)
The context: Helen repeats this phrase to the robot Gort (Lock Martin), to keep him from destroying the earth. We never find out exactly what it means.
How to use it: To avert disaster, or to calm someone down.

This line will baffle anyone who hasn't seen the movie, although references to it appear in many other works (including Army of Darkness, where a major plot point uses a version of the line). The movie is great, because it's not only cheesy and earnest, but also suspenseful and thought-provoking.

The major news outlets are all shrieking about the "first major winter storm" this weekend. First? Ha ha, you weenies! The mountain of snow on my corner (formed by plows) is taller than I am. Dizzy tried to run up it last night, and couldn't figure out why it didn't feel like a real hill. This morning's temperature: -16F. And yes, that is very, very, !@%$&*# cold.

I don't know whether to give Gregg Hurwitz blame or credit for this, but I'm passing along his recommendation for the most entertaining website I've seen in a long time: the "Sitcom Star or Dictator?" game. Be prepared to waste at least half an hour. What's fun is to give the game your own information and see what sitcom character or dictator it guesses you are. It guessed I was someone named Trish from WWE, which makes me wonder whether I was too quick to dismiss pro wrestling as a career. They have a senior circuit, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is this Gregg guy!! I can't beat this game not even with Bobby Jo from Petty Coat junction- it's the spawn of the devil!

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I should clarify -- my pal Gregg Hurwitz, lightly-aged wunderkind and crack thriller writer, merely recommended this site. I don't know what diabolical genius created it.

Brendan said...

Love the quotes.How about Nicholas cage in raisng Arizona: "Her womb was a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase".Class.

Brendan said...

sorry about the typos ;)

Must learn to Preview.....